In 2009 when I went back to school to become a holistic nutritionist, my family had to endure numerous changes. They found new food in the pantry, in their lunch bags and on the dinner table. I always thought I was feeding my family “good” food, but I found the more I learned at school, the more adjustments I needed to make to our ‘standby’ meals.
Some adjustments were successful, but some were definite failures. I learned the hard way, “healthy” Mac and Cheese does not constitute comfort food on a dark, rainy, November evening.
My husband was very supportive and much less vocal than my four teenagers, but there were a few items, he just wouldn’t budge on; Miss Vickies Potato Chips, French fries and Caesar Salad.
The frequency and volume of the potato products were carefully negotiated, but I had to put my foot down on the Caesar Salad.
Let me explain, the salad wasn’t the issue, the dressing was. His favorite dressing was the cheapest commercial brand available, came in a massive jug and had an ingredient list that read like a chemistry paper. His version of Caesar Salad was a few leaves of Romaine lettuce swimming in ‘that’ commercial dressing.
Not to be deterred by my stand, he did what many men would do at this point, he went to his mother. His mother greeted his frustration with magazine articles and newspaper clippings detailing the harmful affects hidden sugar and salt, found in commercially prepared foods, are unknowingly causing in people’s bodies. And these articles didn’t even touch on the additives, chemicals and preservatives. Should a salad dressing really have a shelf life that long?
So with no support from his mother, he took the next logical course of action, he Googled it.
Armed with healthy input from strangers on the internet, as well as, holihealth team member, Nancy Buchanan’s tried and true recipe, he set out to create a Caesar Salad Dressing that he could truly enjoy. Not only did he have to love the taste, his salad dressing had to pass the new holihealth guidelines and it also had to last in the fridge for up to 1 week, so no raw or coddled egg could be included.
Well after a few tries he did it! We now have a very tasty Caesar Salad Dressing Recipe that is made with healthy oil, no preservatives, no chemicals or scary stuff. Here is the magical result:
- ¼ cup plain full fat Greek Yogurt
- 2 anchovies or 1 tsp anchovy paste
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp dry mustard
- 1½ tsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 Tbsp fresh squeezed lemon juice
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
- ½ olive oil
- Put all the ingredients other than the olive oil into a blender and blend on low speed until combined and smooth.
- Take the middle insert out of the lid of the blender and while still on low speed, gradually pour in the olive oil in a steady slow stream.
- Once all the oil has been added, replace the insert in turn blender to high speed to fully blend ingredients and add volume. Blend on high for 1 minute.
- The dressing may be very thick at this point so you may want to add water to thin it out a bit or to your desired consistency. Add 1 Tbsp at a time and blend to combine. A little goes a long way and it can easily become watery.
- Serve right away or pour into a jar with a well fitting lid for storage in the fridge for up to 1 week. The dressing will thicken in the fridge so add a little water before each use.
This dressing is also great in a wrap or sandwich to replace mayonnaise and add a kick of flavour
Excellent as a dip for fresh cut veggies.
Make a non-dairy version by using ½ of an avocado in place of the Greek yogurt and ¼ cup of nutritional yeast in place of the Parmesan Cheese
Serve over a combination of leafy greens (explore the world beyond Romain) - a variety of coloured lettuces, finely chopped kale, spinach and arugla for example
Omit to usual croutons and eliminate unnecessary calories, processed wheat and refined carbohydrates
Add 4 oz of lean protein for those wanting more. Try grilled chicken, a few prawns or a few slices of leftover bison
This is how we took one small step that made a big difference in improving the quality of the our food and reducing the amount of salt, sugar and preservatives being consumed. Not only does our recipe taste great it wil nourish and fuel your body too!!
We want to hear from you. What small steps have you taken?
At holihealth we specialize in holistic wellness. We offer interactive and informative presentations and workshops, as well as, group or individual nutrition and lifestyle consulting. Please visit www.holihealth.ca to learn more or contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org